POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POV-Ray at LINUXTAG : Re: POV-Ray at LINUXTAG Server Time
9 Aug 2024 19:40:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV-Ray at LINUXTAG
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 6 Jul 2000 13:04:15
Message: <3964bc0f@news.povray.org>
In article <3964b22e@news.povray.org> , Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg>  wrote:

>   Well, we can only deduce that no matter what ideology, there will always
> be fanatics.

Unfortunately the FSF GNU project is lead by a fanatic.

If you look closer at Richard Stallman rants you will always find lists like
this <http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/apsl.html> (taken as example because
this is one of the very few I ever read):

* It is not a true copyleft, because it allows linking with other files
which may be entirely proprietary.
* It is unfair, since it requires you to give Apple rights to your changes
which Apple will not give you for its code.
* It is incompatible with the GPL.
<<

Of particular interest is his last "point", which is no point at all.  While
the extremist attitude outlined here might sound OK because he is talking
about individual freedom (to use, copy, etc software).  Simply put, the idea
that comes up in my mind is the sentence "It is not GPL, it is no good
software" - now change "GPL" to "German", and "software" to "person" and go
back in history :-(  Admitted, he is a "left extremist".

    Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich, Duisburg, Germany
e-mail: tho### [at] trfde