POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POV-Ray at LINUXTAG : Re: POV-Ray at LINUXTAG Server Time
9 Aug 2024 13:20:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV-Ray at LINUXTAG
From: Tom Melly
Date: 6 Jul 2000 09:03:44
Message: <396483b0$1@news.povray.org>
"Ron Parker" <ron### [at] povrayorg> wrote in message
news:slr### [at] linuxparkerrfwicom...
> On Thu, 6 Jul 2000 13:37:38 +0100, Tom Melly wrote:
> >Thanks for the report, sounds like it was fun.
> >
> >Could you clear up a couple of anacronyms for me?
> >
> >GPL and RMS
>
> General Public License
> Richard M. Stallman
>
> For explanations of both, see www.fsf.org.  Then look around til you find
> the other side of the story, because it's apparently not all as rosy as
FSF
> would have you believe.

Well, I had a quick read, and on the surface I can't see any obvious
distinction between the pov-ray terms and gpl - what issues have got rms's
goat? The only area that seems different is that IIRC no program based on
POV can be charged for, whereas GPL allows for charging, but not
restricting.