POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Rehashing: a pov CD : Rehashing: a pov CD Server Time
9 Aug 2024 13:18:58 EDT (-0400)
  Rehashing: a pov CD
From: Greg M  Johnson
Date: 6 Jul 2000 08:46:06
Message: <39647E6A.CE946A06@my-dejanews.com>
I'm once again thinking about the idea of a povray artist's best work
CD.

Goals:
    Collect on one CD-ROM or web page a few hundred samples of artists'
best work.
    Raise revenue for pov-team/server.
    Give Nick Parks the opportunity to discover you: yes, let's make
this an honest portfolio dump!
    Offer tutorials.

Scope:
    Everyone submits a bunch (10 max?) of entries of their best work,
filling out a checklist for
        style (realism, clamation, toon, etc.) , content (landscape,
abstract, etc...), country, etc...
        If our participants will not submit to this "bucketization,"
then the project isn't worthwhile to me....
    Povray (+ patches) only images, and ??maybe?? a requirement for
source code?
    There is a copyright notice that somehow gives license to owner &
pov-team & pov cd team.
        Perhaps it would be something like "right of first refusal" to
pov-team.
    If 5 people submit 1 entry each, the project becomes a free 3.5"
floppy disk.
    If 350 people submit 10 entries each, then yes, there will have to
be some kind of vote for the
        "best", guaranteeing that every participant gets at least one
entry and the 5 best from Norway,
        the 5 best landscapes, the 5 best cartoony pieces of work, all
the tutorials get included!
    If 3500 people respond, we would have to limit it to active
news.povray.org'ers and IRTC
        participants and obvious contributors to pov code.
    The CD can simply be a bunch of HTML pages, which are within my
humble capability to compose.
    We can make this a CD-ROM (I could shuck out a few dozen) and/or a
web page and/or
        give the pov-team a CD to give to their publishing friends to
sell.

        this new 'team' and got ZERO replies.
    First of all, I would like to get OFFICIAL permission from the
pov-team to do this in their name.

My agenda:
    news.povray.org is such a cool resource, but:
        1) best work gets trashed when server becomes full;
        2) audience often has to wade through dozens of iterative
improvements AND logo submissions  |-P.
    IRTC is cool, but some people don't like:
        1) artificial deadline,
        2) artificially narrow category,
        3) intolerance of non-architectural work.
        4) whiners like me who think too many entries were pre-existing.