POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : PovRay, Lightflow, & the PovTeam : Re: PovRay, Lightflow, & the PovTeam Server Time
9 Aug 2024 21:22:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: PovRay, Lightflow, & the PovTeam
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 6 Jul 2000 07:55:31
Message: <396473b3@news.povray.org>
In article <3963F156.C3615388@mailbag.com> , Mark Gordon
<mtg### [at] mailbagcom>  wrote:

> I know it goes against what the documentations says, but I'm eager
> to talk with anyone who is trying to compile POV-Ray under an officially
> unsupported version of Unix.  I actually enjoy getting email from
> POV-Ray users about such things.

I agree, I also like to help people to get POV-Ray to compile.

I think the main reason of the note in the manual is to scare away the real
end users (who never used a compiler before) to try to compile POV-Ray.

POV-Ray is complex and surely not the right piece of software to compile as
a first project, but once one has mastered to compile any project with more
than just one file and knows the basics of the compiler one is trying to use
to compile POV-Ray, it is usually no problem to help.

It is just that we usually can't help you if you don't know how to compile a
simple multi-file project using a compiler we may not even have.

      Thorsten

Speaking for myself only.

Thorsten Froehlich
e-mail: mac### [at] povrayorg