POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : PovRay, Lightflow, & the PovTeam : Re: PovRay, Lightflow, & the PovTeam Server Time
9 Aug 2024 21:13:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: PovRay, Lightflow, & the PovTeam
From: Pabs
Date: 6 Jul 2000 01:51:18
Message: <39641E87.181DBBDA@nospamthanks.hotmail.com>
Mark Gordon wrote:

> Hookflash raises some interesting points:
>
> - The API.  The current restrictions on the API are derived from the
> POV-Ray license.  Many people have contributed code to POV-Ray under the
> current license, and many of them are not easy to track down.  The
> POV-Team feels it would be a disservice to those who contributed code
> under the current license to rerelease that code under a less
> restrictive license. The rewrite for 4.0 may give us the opportunity to
> revise the license significantly.  Or not.  We'll see.

IMHO the licence should be kept as is - you are not being stopped (as far as
I can tell) from writing a version of povray that can do what you want -
expose an API that is.

Maybe you could have the development centered at http://sourceforge.net or
set up something similar devoted to POV-Ray at povray.org
SourceForge offers CVS source control accessible via the web through CVSweb

> - Interaction between the POV-Team and the community.  As has been
> pointed out, most of the active members of the POV-Team post on this
> server regularly.

I think its great the way it is esp. with Ken, the TAG and all the myriad
patches (in no specific order) and I very much agree with Philippe Debar's
points on this topic.

--
Bye
Pabs