POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : PovRay, Lightflow, & the PovTeam : Re: PovRay, Lightflow, & the PovTeam Server Time
9 Aug 2024 19:34:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: PovRay, Lightflow, & the PovTeam
From: Philippe Debar
Date: 5 Jul 2000 08:31:44
Message: <39632ab0@news.povray.org>
"The Ellis Family" <cel### [at] voyageurca> wrote in message
news:396### [at] spamlesshotmailcom...
> #1. Very few people (actually, none that I know of) actually make money
> using PovRay and/or Moray. In fact, most people seem to prefer to
> *share* their images/source with the rest of the Pov community.

I'll probably sell pov images some day, as part of an architectural project
(would be kind of hard to explain: yes, I designed this and was paid for the
project and all the drawings/blue-prints/images but the images done with
Pov...)

> #2. Lightflow is vastly superior to PovRay in certain areas (just look
> at Lightflow's surface engine), and I think PovRay would definately
> benefit from a merger of some sort.

Mmmh, I do not know about Lightflow, but I think the operative words here
are "in certain areas".

> #3. Given the huge delay between releases, I think it's safe to say the
> PovTeam is in need of more programmers. And, let's face it, the author
> of Lightflow has, in a mere 5 years, single handedly implemented
> features (such as distributed rendering, an accessible api, and *real*
> radiosity) that the PovTeam can only dream about (no offense to the
> PovTeam intended; the entire Pov community appreciates their efforts).
Maybe. But: must pov's nature change to get more programmers?
> Don't get me wrong, I like PovRay, but I sense a growing lack of
> interest amongst members of the PovTeam (of coarse, I could be way off
> on this).

I do not sense this. I think PovTeam's members are doing a _great_ work in
their free time, but understandably want to retain some control on their rl.
I respect that and I think it will prove beneficial in the long term.

> Also, PovRay *needs* an accessible api (I realize that this
> would be difficult to implement in a portable way), and perhaps this api
> could be accessed via Python.

I hate writing this, but this has been discussed many, many times. Maybe it
should be included in a FAQ? (Maybe it already is and I missed it?)

> And, most importantly, there needs to be
> more interaction between the PovTeam and the Pov community. Every 2 or
> 3 weeks, the PovTeam could report on the progress of the next release
> (is this too much to ask?).

I do not like that idea for the following reasons:
* It put pressure on the PovTeam, a pressure I would not like were I in
their shoes;
* No surprise with a new release;
* It would make difficult to test features and eventually removing them when
they do not work as well as planned;
* It would become difficult to delay a release for fine-tuning;
* People would probably ask for more intermediate release, which would ask
for more work;
* Different patched Povs somehow fill this need.

>Of coarse, this is all just imho;-)

So it is here ;-)

Povingly,

Philippe