POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.animations : particle_system movie : Re: particle_system movie Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:27:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: particle_system movie
From: Rune
Date: 4 Jul 2000 20:03:17
Message: <39627b45@news.povray.org>
Hi Chris!

I'm getting closer to an understanding of your particle system, but there's
still some things I don't understand. I appreciate that you have so far
taken the time to discuss it with me.

> > the number of cycles is dependent on the number of frames.
>
> No. The only times where the number of cycles depends on the number
> of frames is when using method 2, where they are corrected using the
> clock_delta value to keep the system synchronized with the clock.
> The number of cycles per frame drops as the number of frames
> increases and the amount of time per frame drops.

So when using method 2 (and method 0, for that matter) the total number of
cycles for the entire animation (for example from clock=0 to clock=1) is
always exactly the same, independent on the number of frames?

Then how is the number of cycles chosen?

> > What I would like to discuss here is the last method. This is the most
> > interesting, I think. (I also noted that you "forgot" to state any
> > disadvantages for method 2.)
>
> The advantage is that it is synchronized with the clock instead of the
> frame number.

Yes, that's the advantage, but you still haven't told me what the
DIS-advantage is, using method 2.

Which advantages has method 0 over method 2?

Which advantages has method 1 over method 2?

> BTW, one thing that may be confusing you is that my particle system
> doesn't use the number of cycles for time. It takes an amount of system
> time to run the system, and a number of cycles to divide that time into.

That's what I thought.

> If the particle_system is persistent and both the "system time" and the
> number of cycles are tied to clock_delta, the result is equivalent to
> stopping the simulation at the point of time where each frame occurs,
> taking a snapshot, and resuming the simulation as though nothing had
> happened.

I can understand that.

What do I do If want to if I want to render frame 60 to 70 out of 100 in an
animation where the particle system is synchronized with the clock using
method 2?

Greetings,

Rune
--
Updated June 12: http://rsj.mobilixnet.dk
3D images, include files, stereograms, tutorials,