POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : responce to lack : Re: responce to lack Server Time
6 Oct 2024 10:21:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: responce to lack
From: Bob Hughes
Date: 4 Jul 2000 01:36:22
Message: <396177d6@news.povray.org>
"Warp" <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote in message news:3960ffab@news.povray.org...
| Ken <tyl### [at] pacbellnet> wrote:
| : I personally
| : feel that picking on spelling a grammar mistakes is petty and
| : uncalled for.
|
|   On the other hand people will never learn to write correctly if no-one
| tells them what they are doing wrong.
|   I personally would like people telling me if I write something wrong, but
| I have gave up long time ago because people are "too" polite for that. I
have
| no other alternative but learn english just by reading others texts.

The English language, and I could probably guess right that all others too,
are somewhat of a science.  Although, no one ever seems to consider it so.
Learning the correct way to both speak and write is something that can keep
being refined but language, at least English I know, has been metamorphosing
for centuries.  And it keeps on changing grammatically most of all.  To keep a
good understanding of it you'd have to follow the school of thought on it as
opposed to any one persons speech.  Therein lies the problem, continual
diversification of the learned versus the known language.  By "known" I'm
talking about how it's used in everyday life, as opposed to the "learned"
being a dissected and resurrected lingual science.
I often can't imagine someone trying to learn English and ever hoping to make
complete sense out of everything they hear, read, write or say.  If anything I
think much of it comes from ones own understanding of a language of their own
and inferring as well as possible what something means.  Perfected language is
only a shell for the usual communications everyone make.
Really though, you could write and speak any number of ways in a single
language so it has to be something people convey beyond words.  That's the
trouble though, it's akin to mind-reading too in that one thing can always
mean another.  There's no sure thing about it.
I'll leave you with those thoughts in mind  ;-)  but please do go ahead and
re-read what I just said here and it's probably not going to be what I said
precisely the first time I can almost guarantee.  However the general message
gets through.

[this reply brought to you by the redundant use of other people previous
words]

Bob