POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : PolyRay : Re: PolyRay Server Time
9 Aug 2024 15:17:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: PolyRay
From: Bob Hughes
Date: 2 Jul 2000 00:05:41
Message: <395ebf95@news.povray.org>
"Jordan" <cel### [at] voyageurca> wrote in message
news:395### [at] hotmailcom...
| I've been looking around at different raytracers lately (I *love*
| PovRay, of coarse), and PolyRay has caught my attention.  It seems like
| a fairly complete package, and even supports Nurbs; but, the latest
| version (1.8a) seems to have been released 5+ years ago.  Is it no
| longer being developed/maintained?  How does it compare with PovRay (no
| flames please)?  Thanks for your time and help.

That was the last version I guess.  Nothing else ever seemed to surface.  I
used Polyray before finding POV-Ray way back in 1993 or '94, about the time
1.8 was first around I think.
Alexander Enzmann seemed to have joined up with the POV-Team, I don't know the
specifics, and left Polyray to gather some dust.  Except I think many people
still use it so that's not a completely accurate statement.
Polyray 1.7, 1.8 and POV-Ray 1.0, 2.0 are, or were, very similar in the way
the syntax was done.  Very comparable in 1994-96 I'd say but thereafter
POV-Ray has been pretty unbeatable because of feature additions like
atmosphere and halo first then media (kind of volumetric things).

Bob