POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : responce to lack : Re: responce to lack Server Time
6 Oct 2024 05:14:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: responce to lack
From: Rick
Date: 30 Jun 2000 03:51:22
Message: <395c517a@news.povray.org>
> also. They are driven by money. The pov team should be driven by pride.
This is
> a great accomplishment they have in creating a program such as povray with
no
> direct finatial input and limited time. To fall short now is like an
athlete
> training hard and winning some local meets and then going to the olipics
just
> to set in the stands.

I think you fail to realise that pride does not buy food, pay bills and or
taxes.

The povray project does accomplish a vast amount concidering how its
developed, and with every new version i am allways amazed with it (shortly
followed by a need to buy a faster PC)

if povray was a commercial project do you think there would be the open
development we see now? as it stands anyone can take the povray source code,
doctor new features in and release it to the masses, and of course the best
of these features finally make it into the official build.

yes i agree it would be nice to for povray to be a more widely accepted
render platform, and not just a hobbyests toy, but that is not the fault of
the official team. its actually our fault. if we got off our arses and
implamented the features we are complaining that povray lacks then it will
make a world of difference.

just remember povray is essentially free, and as its free no one has any
right to expect the same level of development as a commercial render engine.

the povray team are human as well, they have lives, families and other
commitments that are far more important than meeting our impatient requests
for the moon on a stick.

Rick