POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : What's wrong with povray? : Re: What's wrong with povray? Server Time
9 Aug 2024 21:11:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: What's wrong with povray?
From: Tom Melly
Date: 27 Jun 2000 08:37:47
Message: <3958a01b$1@news.povray.org>
"Rick" <ric### [at] kitty5com> wrote in message news:39589c54@news.povray.org...

> > Just because POV lacks many features doesn't stop people using it to
make
> > movies.  A group called the Internet Movie Project is doing just that.
> You
> > just have to work a bit harder at it, that's all.
>
> you shouldn't have to, that's the point.
>
> it would be nice if povray included all the features of the top end
> commercial render engines, and it stopped being seen as a hobbyists toy
and
> more of a powerful professional tool.

There are two parts to this: what is wrong with povray as a render engine
and what is wrong with povray as a modeller/scene animator?

As a render engine, I dare say there are some deficiencies (bugs, missing
functions, etc), but I would hazard a guess that, overall, it has more
features than any other render engine, commercial or otherwise.

As a modeller and scene animator, well it isn't meant to be one. Nothing to
stop someone writing a fully-featured modeller/animator that intergrates
with POV - it has support for animation, etc. and no rewrites would be
necessery of the POV code - but that is not the intent of the program as
such.

Just out of curiousity, if someone was to write a modeller that intergrated
with POV, could they release it commercially, or would the fact that it
output POV scene code prohibit this?