POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Another POV-Ray site suggestion : Re: Another POV-Ray site suggestion Server Time
9 Aug 2024 15:22:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Another POV-Ray site suggestion
From: Lee Brown
Date: 23 Jun 2000 02:49:31
Message: <3953087b@news.povray.org>
"Ron Parker" <ron### [at] povrayorg> wrote in message
news:slr### [at] linuxparkerrfwicom...
[cut]
> (following up to myself)
>
> I finally got it figured out.  I now have word indexes of all of the
> newsgroups on this server, including articles on off-topic that are long
> gone.  The collection is 18 megs, zipped (about 50 megs, unzipped) and
> current as of 2 AM EST yesterday morning.  I still have to figure out how
> to do incremental updates, but that doesn't look too hard.
>
> Now... what do I do with them?  I don't know of any free web hosts that
> allow custom CGI and will let me host 50 megs of indexes plus the swish-e
> executable.  Any suggestions?  I have DSL, but it's only 128kb upstream
> and my ISP doesn't let me run a server, so I'm stuck with external
> solutions.  For the best results, I'd also have to have a database of
> names, dates, subjects, and messageIDs so I could look up info on the
> results without having to hit the news server.  That's easy enough to
> build, but it'd take up lots of space too.

Do you know if the index file is in some kind of standard format (like *.mdb
or .dbf).  It may be possible to write a Client-Server java application that
would run on your machine (don't know if it could take the load though) to
process queries that the client side java code on the loaded page could
transmit.  I don't know enough about the java database stuff to know how
easy it would be to do this.  I could write some code in Delphi that would
do it, but that would mean that an .exe would have to be downloaded for
people to run on the client-side.  Delphi would necessitate a known database
format which is why I asked that originally.  This is not a very good
solution I must admit, but the only one that comes to mind.

Lee
--
lee### [at] prodigynet