POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : New POV-Ray page design ? : Re: New POV-Ray page design ? Server Time
10 Aug 2024 05:23:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: New POV-Ray page design ?
From: Scott Hill
Date: 19 Jun 2000 13:48:35
Message: <394e5cf3@news.povray.org>
"Rune" <run### [at] inamecom> wrote in message
> "Scott Hill" wrote:
> >     Actually, what I think would be really neat is if that image
> > changed regularly, each time demonstrating different aspects of
> > POVRay - one week a nice Poser girl showing mapping features,
> > the next a teddybear showing the power of media, and so on...
>
> Err, there already *is* a ever-changing image on the front page!
>
> Right now we have an ever-changing image in the middle, and the poser girl
> to the right.
>
> What you want is an ever-changing image in the middle, and another
> ever-changing image to the right? I don't see the reason.

    Yeah. But, not so 'ever changing' - just have it change once a week or
even once a month.
    The reason ? Well, granted the center images are nice examples of what
can be achieved with POV, but they're complete scenes and demonstrate a
whole hoard of techniques and methods - the image on the right could show a
much more detailed example of a specific technique, maybe there could even
be a link to the source for the image, a tutorial on the technique or just a
page from the docs. Basically something that people will see, say something
like "that's a neat effect, there's all sorts of things I could do with
that" about and be able to easily find more information about - scene
sources are good, but it can sometimes be difficult to figure out what parts
of someone elses code contribute to the effect/object/texture/whatever
you're interested in (particularly if it's badly (or not) commented).

--
Scott Hill. (sco### [at] innocentcom)
Software Engineer.

*Everything in this post is IMO.*