POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : New POV-Ray page design ? : Re: New POV-Ray page design ? Server Time
10 Aug 2024 03:20:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: New POV-Ray page design ?
From: Rune
Date: 19 Jun 2000 13:21:44
Message: <394e56a8@news.povray.org>
"Thorsten Froehlich" wrote:
> "Rune" wrote:
>
> > My definition of a splash page is a special page that contains
> > no useful contents. I would call the first page at
> > http://www.scifi-art.com/ for a splash page
>
> This is contrary to what any usability expert will tell you.
> People want to know where they are and what the site is about.

You misunderstood me! I was talking about what I think a splash page *is*,
not how I think it *should be*.

I think the first page at http://www.scifi-art.com is a typical splash page,
that is, with no useful info, and I don't like that.

I wouldn't say that the first page at http://www.povray.org is a splash
page, because it is just like the other pages in design, and it contains
useful info too. I think that is good.

I hope this was more clear.

> Sometimes only or mostly negative feedback can be very
> frustrating, so maybe pointing out what you _like_  about
> the site would help improve it as well.

Thanks for reminding me!

Basically, I think the basic layout with the menu to the left and how the
text and headers are placed is fine.

What I don't like is mostly the colors chosen for the site, and the
unoriginal menu to the left. I would think that this is things that could be
improved rather easily. That is just judging from my own experience with web
design.

I also think in the links section the boxes with the under sections should
be placed in one column only, so it will fit in the width independent of the
screen resolutions.

I hope you will find this feedback more constructive! :-)

Greetings,

Rune.

--
Updated June 12: http://rsj.mobilixnet.dk
3D images, include files, stereograms, tutorials,