POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : New POV-Ray page design ? : Re: New POV-Ray page design ? Server Time
10 Aug 2024 03:20:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: New POV-Ray page design ?
From: Gilles Tran
Date: 19 Jun 2000 08:33:40
Message: <394E12C5.AB06491A@inapg.inra.fr>
Rune wrote:

> I'm sure it was, but the point is that it doesn't show any *unique* features
> of POV-Ray. That is, it doesn't give the visitor a reason to use POV-Ray
> instead of any other 3D program. That girl could probably be made with any
> 3D program, and it doesn't show the real strengths of POV-Ray, I think.

Being a long-time Poser user, I really don't object at having a Poser model
(rendered in Pov-Ray) in the front page. Having a realistic-looking human form
on the front page is certainly a big step ahead from the usual CSG fare. It
actually shows off one BIG strength of POV-Ray, and a quite undervalued one,
which is its ability to render meshes from other programmes.

With uv-mapping and with the help of vertex management utilities like those made
by Warp and Chris Colefax, there's a huge potential in using meshes in Povray.
Note that the (previous ?) Hall of Fame shows at least two images of objects
made with 3DStudio and rendered in Povray and AFAIK nobody ever complained about
this.

My only (little) problem is that Posette here is a little too basic, and looks
more like a standard posing example for Poser than a true creation, so that
there could be room for improvement (but there may be more to know about her,
who knows ?).

G.