POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Strange behaviour of superellipsoid with orthographic camera : Re: Strange behaviour of superellipsoid with orthographic camera Server Time
9 Aug 2024 17:21:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Strange behaviour of superellipsoid with orthographic camera
From: Bob Hughes
Date: 14 Jun 2000 22:59:57
Message: <394846ad@news.povray.org>
"Peter J. Holzer" <hjp### [at] SiKituwsracat> wrote in message
news:slr### [at] tealhhjpat...
| On Tue, 13 Jun 2000 15:22:39 -0500, Bob Hughes wrote:
| >
| >Really makes me wonder what's going on behind the scenes (heh, a
| >pun) anyway. If the slight offset of x or z from 0 is done and
| >'orthographic' is placed first ahead of anything else then the
| >superellipsoid more than fills the display window. When placed after
| >'location' and before 'angle' it shows up but only as a tiny size.
|
| Yes, this is normal and documented. Angle is ignored if it comes after
| the orthographic keyword, and look_at works somewhat differently. This
| may be a little bit surprising at first, but its rather logical and you
| get used to it. That's not my problem.
|
| look similar to the artifacts one gets with coincident surfaces, so I
| guess that's also a ray/shape intersection test problem (maybe the ray
| misses the front surface and hits the back surface?)

Yep, I was merely pointing out the change with various ways of rendering it,
I've known about the position of 'orthographic' for a while now and just
wanted to emphasize that as being part of the whole thing about the camera
having differences too, not just the superellipsoid.
It's very noticeable how that shape can be quite slow to render sometimes,
would be great if someone had a new and better method of doing it.  Like the
lathe speedup was.

Bob