POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : BUG?: Pattern and Heightfield, Win MegaPov 0.5 : Re: Pattern and Heightfield, Win MegaPov 0.5 Server Time
9 Aug 2024 17:21:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Pattern and Heightfield, Win MegaPov 0.5
From: Bob Hughes
Date: 14 Jun 2000 00:25:41
Message: <39470945@news.povray.org>
| Well the heightfield which is scaled to be about .3 pov-units high starts
| slamming up and down hard and going past the 0.3 unit scaling.  Very weird.

You're right.  And it's wrong.  Or at least I'm fairly sure it is.  Correct
behaviour for it would be to shift the pattern from highs to lows and lows to
highs, a kind of traded places thing.  I gave 'ripples' a try and moved the
camera up in the y axis some to get a good typical view.  A ripple pattern
should definitely only roll along like waves on the surface of a pond from a
pebble dropped into it.  The same unusual distortion takes place though,
ultimately collapsing the crests instead of just propagating them.
I envision a bug report for the povray.unofficial.patches group.

Bob