POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.animations : Motion blur : Re: Motion blur Server Time
28 Jul 2024 12:31:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Motion blur
From: Scott Hill
Date: 10 Jun 2000 01:21:56
Message: <3941d074@news.povray.org>
"Simon Lemieux" <lem### [at] yahoocom> wrote in message
> Hi,
> I was wondering if it was possible with Povray 3.1 (under linux) to make
motion
> blurred animations?

    Of course.

> What would be a trick to make motion blur without the use
> of any post-processing?

    Ah, now your asking - it's still possible, though, in a couple of ways.

    1. Multiple objects. In a nutshell you create additional copies of any
objects you want motion blurred, but you position each one one further 'step
back in time' and adjust their transparancy so that they become increasingly
transparent. OK, say your scene contains a red sphere that moves smoothly
from <0,0,0> to <1,0,0> between two frames of in the animation, therefor, on
the second of these frames you'd have the scene setup something like :

    object { sphere { <pos      ,0,0>, 1 } pigment { color rgbt<1,0,0,0
  > } }
    object { sphere { <pos-1/3,0,0>, 1 } pigment { color rgbt<1,0,0,1/3> } }
    object { sphere { <pos-2/3,0,0>, 1 } pigment { color rgbt<1,0,0,2/3> } }
    object { sphere { <pos-1   ,0,0>, 1 } pigment { color rgbt<1,0,0,1
  > } }

    Obviously the more of these ghost sphere's you put in the smoother the
blurring will be - just remember for any one frame you need to fill the
space between an objects current position and it's last position along the
path it's travelling with increasingly transparent copies of the object and
you can't go far wrong.

    2. Patch POVRay - I believe there are patched versions of POV that will
do motion blur for you - effectively creating the ghost objects without you
needing to specifically code it into your POV source. I could be wrong
though.

    Of course the third and by far the easiest option is to just render far
more frames in your animation than you need - group them up into blocks of
subframes and then merge the subframes together to create each individual
frame.
--
Scott Hill. (sco### [at] innocentcom)
Software Engineer.