POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.animations : Poll: MPEG output option : Re: Poll: MPEG output option Server Time
28 Jul 2024 12:25:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Poll: MPEG output option
From: Warp
Date: 8 Jun 2000 06:57:45
Message: <393f7c29@news.povray.org>
Bryan Valencia <bry### [at] 209softwarecom> wrote:
: I'd like to see the frames rendered like that or in another "interlaced"
: order.

  This would work as long as the current frame does not depend on the
previous one.
  I have made two type of animations with frames depending on the result of
the previous frame:
  - In my spider robot animation I saved the location of the legs of the robot
to a file and then read them in the next frame and modified them a bit and
so on. In MegaPov this could be done with persistent variables, but the
problem is exactly the same.
  - I made a macro that allowed creating recursive images (ie. an image which
contains the image itself in a smaller version, for example in a painting,
which contains the same image and so on) which uses the animation feature in
order to achieve this: It just uses the previous frame as an image map on
some object.

: Since parsing is so time consuming, isn't there a way to parse it all once
: and do all the rendering from one parse?

  Some things can depend greatly on the clock variable. For example consider
this:

#if(clock<.5)
  do_something
#else
  do_something_else
#end

  or even this:

#declare Seed=clock*100;
#if(rand(Seed)<.5)
  do_something
#else
  do_something_else
#end

  How can povray deduce which one of the #if blocks should it take without
parsing the #if-statement?

  Megapov, however, supports persistent variables, which should help a lot
in this process. It doesn't, however, help in this type of cases.