POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Buggy trig? : Re: Buggy trig? Server Time
9 Aug 2024 17:20:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Buggy trig?
From: Rune
Date: 4 Jun 2000 18:43:23
Message: <393adb8b@news.povray.org>
"Xplo Eristotle" wrote:
> It would be more natural, IMO, to have trig that accepts degrees.

I don't see the reason to change how it works or to make new keywords for
it. You can anywhere and anytime use degrees(X) to convert X from radians to
degrees and radians(X) to convert degrees to radians. It's very simple.

> I don't WANT to rotate an object by 1/6th pi. I don't *NEED* to
> rotate an object by 1/6th pi. But it would be nice to ask for
> sin(30) and get .5 back.

Ask for sin(radians(30)) and you get back .5

> (In the spirit of offering a solution, how about a "trig_units"
> keyword in the global_settings, where a user could specify
> "degrees" or "radians"?)

I think it will cause only more trouble. If your scene uses degrees and you
want to use an include file that uses radians you would have to change the
global_settings several times.

And when we in these groups want to help others with trig related problems
we would always have to ask things like, "Did you remember to set trig_units
to 'degrees'?".

I think it is fine as it is.

Greetings,

Rune

---
Updated April 25: http://rsj.mobilixnet.dk
Containing 3D images, stereograms, tutorials,