POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Include files I'd like to see... : Re: Include files I'd like to see... Server Time
9 Aug 2024 17:22:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Include files I'd like to see...
From: Gilles Tran
Date: 5 Jun 2000 11:55:02
Message: <393BCCFD.700B33C4@inapg.inra.fr>
Nobody has answered this... Strange. They must have unplugged Ken Tyler :-)

Doug Eichenberg wrote:

> HUMAN_BEING.INC:  Admittedly a pipe-dream, but wouldn't it be cool?  It
> could have variables for sex, height, weight, hair and eye color, race, age,
> etc.

Blobman.inc from Peter Houston is what you're looking for.
http://welcome.to/HoustonGraphics
This link doesn't work now, though.
(if you want more realism, there's Poser but it's commercial).

> FLOWERS.INC:  This might actually exist and I just haven't run across it.
> I've seen many for trees/bushes, and plenty of  *software* for flowers, but
> are there any POV include files?

It seems that Andrew Clinton tree macro supports trees in bloom.
http://povplace.addr.com/files/ so that there is a flower code in there.
A flower macro project could be a very nice one, IMHO.

> WATER.INC:  Again, it may exist.  There's lots of code to create water, but
> I've never seen an include file.  Variables might include visibility (how
> dirty is it?), surface calmness/wave size/wave frequency, foam, algae, etc.

This one may be more difficult. No one has come up with a POV water simulation
suitable in all contexts. The POV waters I've seen so far use a wide range of
techniques : simple plane-with-normal, height fields, isosurfaces, meshes,
media. Apart the simple plane situation (good for calm waters), all these were
only suitable in the particular context of the picture they were used in. I'm
afraid that water raises technical problems not solvable in pov-script (until a
programming genious hard-codes a Water object, perhaps along the lines of the
ridged multifractal already in Megapov).

G.