POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : a thought about newsgroup clutter : Re: a thought about newsgroup clutter Server Time
9 Aug 2024 17:22:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: a thought about newsgroup clutter
From: Ken
Date: 31 May 2000 17:44:54
Message: <39358774.B9752467@pacbell.net>
ryan constantine wrote:

> i have noticed many, many posts in the wrong groups followed by a post
> telling the person they are in the wrong group and to post in the
> appropriate group.  most people then repost in the correct group,
> leaving their "mess" in the wrong group.  it might be a good addition to
> the announcement, and newusers groups to tell people how to delete their
> own posts.  that way, they could go back and clean up their "mess" and
> save (in the long run) quite a bit of server space.  other than these
> 'wrong group' posts, deletion of posts should, of course, be up to the
> poster (or postee?).  comments?

I might add a comment about that in one of the future announcements.
I'll have to think about it.

You will find however that we have on occasion made such requests
and some people have indeed gone back and removed their mis-posted
messages. However people posting in the wrong group only occurs
once in a while and once they know what the appropriate groups are
to post to do not repeat this mistake. To enforce something like
this would likely make us into the bad guys and is really not worth
us looking like we are bunch of Net Nannys.