POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : PLC: New submission formats suggestion : Re: New submission formats suggestion Server Time
9 Aug 2024 19:40:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: New submission formats suggestion
From: Philippe Debar
Date: 31 May 2000 08:55:03
Message: <39350ba7@news.povray.org>
"Rune" <run### [at] inamecom> wrote in message
> It might be a good idea if the logo designers could explain the concepts
of
> their logos. On the other hand, logos should make sense without an
> explanation. When you normally see a logo, you don't get any explanation,
so
> a explanation shouldn't be nessesary.

I think a logo can be good by itself and even better when you get the
explanation. eg. I like the Nike logo quite much, but I won't say it makes
sense. With an explanation, my apreciation of this logo would certainly
change (is it clever, amusing or dumb or boring?). Given the size of a text
file, it would be a pity if authors could not explain themselves. Another
example, although a less direct one, is the IRTC : I read many times
voters/commenters writing things like "I did not understand/like this image
at first, but after reading the text, I find it excellent." To summarise, I
would say that a good logo is good by itself and is good with the
explanation.

> So I don't know. What do others think?
>
> And by the way, what do you think of the image formats themselves?

They're OK by me. I'd just make the custom formats freer, more custom.
Something like : any number of images, any format, with a maximum total
number of pixels of 194400 (=180^2*2+360^2) for all images combined. I just
don't like too strict guidelines for any project. (OT: during my
architectural studies, I had some projects with very strict presentation
rules. The last I had, I respected every rule [a rare occurrence], but drew

the time, the projects that appropriately broke the rules got the upper
scores. The difficulty being to know when, how and why to break the rules.)

Povingly

Philippe