POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : PLC: Submission formats? : Re: Submission formats? Server Time
3 May 2024 11:35:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Submission formats?
From: Philippe Debar
Date: 24 May 2000 05:45:30
Message: <392ba4ba@news.povray.org>
"Rune" <run### [at] inamecom> wrote in message
> > If the voters are mainly those who haunts these groups,
> > I am fairly confident that they are capable of such
> > thinking.
>
> If I see a color logo with lots of details and effects, I will not be able
> to tell how it will look in a simple black and white version. Therefore I
> would like to *see* the black and white version.

What can I say???

> > I believe most other Povray users can too. Nonetheless,
> > I understand your concern - my way of dealing with it
> > would be to educate the voters : guidelines for voters.
> > (Maybe I am a bit too confident and naive.)
>
> Hmm, would that be like saying to the voters, "When deciding if a logo is
> good, try to imagine how it would look in just black and white (...)".
>
> Why shouldn't we instead simply *show* them how it looks in black and
white?

No, what I say is: if the author, who was toroughly informed, choosed to not
include a B/W version, was it a good choice? Was he able to show you things
that are, after viewing them, more important/difficult to see/visualise then
the B/W version? Or was he trying to impress you with effects and to mask
his logo's lack of substance?

Hence: author responsability.

> > I see some potential problems. (1)Deadline and
> > the collecting of support. Last-minute entrants
> > would have a hard time getting support. Could
> > support be given on drafts?
>
> We could maybe have a period meant for collecting support.

I can see a designer not working on his logo if it is not already submitted.
If the "support" phase needs the logos to be submitted/locked, then it
really is a voting.

> > One wild suggestion : first logo could be "free"
> > (no support). Possibly, successive logos could
> > need a growing number of support...
>
> I personally don't see what the reason for such a rule would be. It would
> (again) be like telling people that it is preferred that each person make
> few logos only, and I don't see the reason for that. I think, let the
voters
> decide instead, either by using the "support method" or by not limit the
> submissions at all.

I think any protocol limiting the total number of logos is telling peoples
that we prefer to see few logos. I proposed the "growing number of support,
starting at 0" rule to address a few shortcoming of the "3 supports" method,
such as less restricting the total number of logos, giving a chance to an
isolated author (with few chance of getting a support) or facilitating
last-minute entries.

Povingly,

Philippe