POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : PLC: Submission formats? : Re: Submission formats? Server Time
4 May 2024 00:42:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Submission formats?
From: Philippe Debar
Date: 24 May 2000 05:45:04
Message: <392ba4a0@news.povray.org>
"Rune" <run### [at] inamecom> wrote in message
> "Bill DeWitt" wrote:
> > "Rune" wrote:
> > For example we could say that logos can only be
> > submitted to the contest if there's at least 3
> > persons who supports it. Logos that nobody will
> > support has no chance of winning anyway.
> >
> > I preemptively give my support for -every-
> > submission. Now they only need two.
>
> Well, actually I meant that each person could give *one* support only.

No! Please!

This does exactly what you want to avoid : it limits the total number of
logo to 1/3 of the number of people willing to give their votes - so
probably to 1/3 of the number of people frequenting this ng, if one admits
they all have an interest in the logo contest. I think this is much more
restricting then what I proposed : number of logos limited by [3-5]*(number
of informed people), as opposed to (number of informed people)/3.

> I personally wouldn't like to see 100+ logos on the voting page (for
> bandwidth reasons mainly), so I thought we could "filter out" the logos
that
> has no chance of winning anyway. That way we could for example prevent one
> person from submitting lots of different versions of the same logo, if
some
> of the versions are not popular at all anyway.

er... if they are just minor variations of the same logo, most people would
support most variations. Hence, the author will have to choose himself
because of the support requirement. Which is exactly what I advocate.

> Maybe it would be better if each logo needed one supporter only,

I suppose an author cannot support himself. This still restrict the total
number of logos to (informed people)/2.

> or maybe
> it's not a good suggestion at all.

I think the idea is a good one, but that it would be much work to make a
workable implementation.

Povingly,

Philippe