POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : PLC: Submission formats? : Re: Submission formats? Server Time
17 May 2024 21:08:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Submission formats?
From: Philippe Debar
Date: 22 May 2000 03:34:24
Message: <3928e300@news.povray.org>
Hello again!
"Rune" <run### [at] inamecom> wrote in message
> I'm afraid many voters will judge upon what they see.
> I'm not sure they will judge upon what they *don't* see.
>
> If a logo creator decides to present his logo in really fancy ways only,
and
> he doesn't present his logo in the limited formats, then I think some
voters
> will judge upon the fancy version only. They may give the logo a high
score
> because they like what they see, but that is not so good if the logo
> actually wouldn't have looked nice in simple formats.
>
> Therefore I think there should be some rules about in which formats the
> logos should be submitted. To help the voters.
[SNIP]

> I may not become popular by saying this, but I'm questioning the voters
> ability to judge upon what they *don't* see. I'm not sure everybody will
> think that far. Therefore I think we should make sure that the voters see
> what they need to see.

If the voters are mainly those who haunts these groups, I am fairly
confident  that they are capable of such thinking. I believe most other
Povray users can too. Nonetheless, I understand your concern - my way of
dealing with it would be to educate the voters : guidelines for voters.
(Maybe I am a bit too confident and naive.)

> We can not say for sure that it isn't possible for one person to make a
lot
> of different logos that are all very good. Similar, there can also be a
> person who makes one logo only, and it can still be a poor logo.

I think a person capable of designing many different and excellent logo is
also capable to select the bests ones within his works. And that doing so
_is_ part of the design process. However this is my (current way of seeing
life/people?)/(philosophy?)/(paradigm?)/(vision?), not an established fact.
So: I agree, unreservedly.

> I think we should have some kind of limit, but the limit should be based
on
> quality, not on who has made the logo.
>
> For example we could say that logos can only be submitted to the contest
if
> there's at least 3 persons who supports it. Logos that nobody will support
> has no chance of winning anyway.
[SNIP]

> If we follow my suggestion the amount of logos will be limited in a
natural
> and fair way.

I never thought about such a system. I think it is a very good one.

> > I think a restriction on the total number
> > of logos, independent of a number/author
> > limit, can be a much worse creativity
> > restriction (the more so if the firsts
> > submitters each post numerous variations).
>
> I did certainly not mean that the order of the submissions was the way to
> make the restriction!

As I wrote, I never thought about such a system as yours. I inappropriately
assumed that you would limit the total number of logos. I do apologise for
implicitly putting such words in you mouth.

> What do you think of my suggestion?

Very good, I think.

I see some potential problems. (1)Deadline and the collecting of support.
Last-minute entrants would have a hard time getting support. Could support
be given on drafts? (2) If anybody can give support, the rule will have no
real effect. Anybody can get 3 friends to give blindly such support - and
one can even set up fake net-identities to ive himself support. OTOH,
getting more then 3 "serious" (for example people from this ng) could be
hard... I have no solution to offer.
One wild suggestion : first logo could be "free"(no
support). Possibly, successive logos could need a growing number of
support...

(Sorry for the late answer : I could not post this Friday, I had to wait for
this Monday morning - I only get access to the Internet at work).

Povingly,

Philippe