POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POV, transparency and web-graphics. : Nope, can't be done. Server Time
9 Aug 2024 19:42:25 EDT (-0400)
  Nope, can't be done.
From: Xplo Eristotle
Date: 19 May 2000 14:21:37
Message: <392587BC.E446B680@unforgettable.com>
Scott Hill wrote:

>     I've got POV outputting TGA's with alpha info, so that I can make
> buttons, icons, etc for my web page, but what file format should I use on
> the web-page ?
>     According to PSP, alpha info isn't stored in GIFs or JPGs and PNGs don't
> seem to be supported by many browsers yet (if any ?).
>     Are there any cheap(free) tools available that'll put alpha info into
> GIFs or JPGs ?

What you're attempting is currently effectively impossible. Sorry.

Once Mozilla and/or IE5+ have widespread acceptance, you should be able
to transition to alpha-masked PNGs.. but keep an eye on those file sizes.

--
Xplo Eristotle
http://start.at/xplosion/

"And then one day you find ten years have got behind you
No one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun"
    -Pink Floyd