POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Glass Flower (62KB) : Re: Glass Flower (62KB) Server Time
1 May 2024 22:34:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Glass Flower (62KB)
From: Xplo Eristotle
Date: 18 May 2000 21:01:12
Message: <392493E3.248B0166@unforgettable.com>
Tor Olav Kristensen wrote:

> Xplo Eristotle wrote:
>
> > Also, real glass tends to exhibit variable reflection; in my own
> > experiments I've found that type 0 with a falloff power of 2 or so
> > provides a fairly realistic look (though it may not be mathematically accurate).
>
> This is the T_glass3 from the glass.inc file that came with POV-Ray.
> Unfortunately I do not have much experience with modelling of glass.
>
> So at the moment I'm not capable of doing the changes that you
> suggest above.

You could always cannibalize the texture (copy/paste from the include
file) and make the necessary changes, it's not that hard.

> (Btw: About the falloff you mention:
> - Is this about the light source - or the interior of the glass ?
> - Or is it about something else ?)

The reflectivity. I was suggesting the use of angle-dependent reflection
(of course, if you don't have the MegaPatch, this won't help you, but
everyone SHOULD have it ^_- ).

> > The highlights seem a little large in places.
>
> I agree. But because of the long rendering times it will take me
> a looong time to find a better lighting for this image. :(

So isolate one of the big highlights and do small test renders.

Um.. how slow IS your machine, anyway? You make it sound like you're
doing this on an old 486/66... ^^;

--
Xplo Eristotle
http://start.at/xplosion/

"And then one day you find ten years have got behind you
No one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun"
    -Pink Floyd