POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POV-Ray Help site update... : POV-Ray Help site update... Server Time
9 Aug 2024 19:43:45 EDT (-0400)
  POV-Ray Help site update...
From: DougE
Date: 18 May 2000 20:08:34
Message: <39248602@news.povray.org>
Concerning the discussion so far, here's the impression I'm getting:

1. Such a site cannot include direct links to resources on
    other peoples sites, including the newsgroups.  That's
    fine.

2. Beware of copyrights.  I planned on giving credit to
    everyone anyhow, but evidently I will need permission
    before including anything just to be on the safe side.
   As long as I do that, I don't see any problems.

3. The newsgroups add up to over 100 megs of data,
    and since all that info will have to be duplicated at
    the site it's going to be large and time-consuming.

Ken Tyler mentioned that he was going to check with admin to see if they are
okay with all of this.  Assuming that they are, then I will have to find out
just how large an amount of data we are actually talking about.  As far as
hosting the site, that may not be as monstrous a problem as we think (I work
for an ISP, and I can probably get some sort of deal).  One thing I'm
curious about though:  how far back do these newsgroups go?  Are all of the
past postings here for viewing, or are they archived somewhere?    Once I
find out exactly how much data the newsgroups amount to, and if POV admin is
okay with this, then I will talk to my ISP and see what kind of a deal they
are willing to make me.

-Doug