POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Japan & Poland : Re: Japan & Poland Server Time
10 Aug 2024 03:19:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Japan & Poland
From: Gilles Tran
Date: 17 May 2000 04:52:45
Message: <39225D71.6F3BD9C9@inapg.inra.fr>
Ken wrote:

> There is no doubt the Japanese comprise a good portion of the POV-Ray
> community now even though we have little communication with them
> because of the language barrier. In recent times we have also seen
> an emergence of people coming from the former Soviet block countries
> (understandable) as well as mainland China. I do find it surprising
> that we don't see any traffic from India and the entire African
> continent is poorly represented. I am sure that the economic
> infrastructures of the various countries has a lot to do with it.

Note that it is very likely that the various .com, .net and "unknow" hosts
hide a lot of people from a much wider range of countries. About the figures,
the reason why there are so many Japanese visitors is probably due that there
is a Japanese pov-ray mailing list which seems very popular (and Tsutomu Higo
told me that the IRTC pictures have been commented there). Possibly, the
existence of a  newsgroup in a particular language helps a lot to maintain
popularity in the community that speaks this language (of course there is a
need for a critical mass of users to create such a group or list).

G.