POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Japan & Poland : Re: Japan & Poland Server Time
10 Aug 2024 03:19:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Japan & Poland
From: Gail Shaw
Date: 17 May 2000 04:17:39
Message: <392255a3@news.povray.org>
Ken wrote in message <3921E3A5.B6CF05C0@pacbell.net>...

< snip comment by Gilles Tran >

>I do find it surprising
>that we don't see any traffic from India and the entire African
>continent is poorly represented. I am sure that the economic
>infrastructures of the various countries has a lot to do with it.

The African continent in general is under-developed technologically
South Africa is reasonably good but behind Europe in developments.
Just getting a phone connection to our northern neighbors (Zimbabwe,
Mozambique
and Botswana) can be difficult. Namibia is better but it is easier for me to
phone America than Zimbabwe. North of those countries things just get
worse. Not sure about Northern Africa but the southern portion has very
low computer literacy (And quite low literacy in general). Only a very small
proportion of people own a computer.

Phone calls are also expensive here as are Internet costs. The bandwidth
available
is also very low, so the internet is in general slow

I would have been very surprised to see another visitor from Africa.

Gail
* gsh### [at] monotixcoza              * Reality.dat not found         *
* http://www.rucus.ru.ac.za/~gail/ * Attempting to reboot universe *
* The best way to accelerate Windows NT is at 9.8 m/s^2      *