POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Direct links to other's resources : Re: Direct links to other's resources Server Time
10 Aug 2024 03:21:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Direct links to other's resources
From: Bob Hughes
Date: 16 May 2000 22:22:45
Message: <39220275@news.povray.org>
"Ken" <tyl### [at] pacbellnet> wrote in message news:3921F12E.3D70CD20@pacbell.net...
{
{ Alex McMurray wrote:
{
{ > One matter I have not seen mentioned here is the danger of broken links to
{ > images that no longer exist
{
{  This has caused me a lot of work. I used to bypass the entry page
{ to a web site and linked directly to the page containing a particular
{ resource. Without letting me know site owners have redesigned their
{ web sites and renamed the page containing the resoures I was linking
{ to.

It has occurred to me that if a web page listed everything, images and
pages and whatever else, at a persons web space then that would be
about as good as you could ask for.  Indexed or a table of contents
type of thing.  I seldom see peoples web pages showing the entire
contents of their web spaces and if a default html file exists (index.html)
then everything is kind of buried under the page.
I've been trying to think about this before and have started to at least
list the main web pages I have into the index.html file of each web space
root directory.  That way anyone looking at a broken link would be able to
get the default page showing what is still there anyway.
I think a complete itemized list of everything there would be great but it's
probably too much a task for me to seriously consider.
I wouldn't mind coming across such places elsewhere though  :-)

Bob