POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : PLC: Submission formats? : Re: Submission formats? Server Time
4 May 2024 16:39:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Submission formats?
From: Rune
Date: 16 May 2000 17:33:29
Message: <3921bea9@news.povray.org>
"Bob Hughes" wrote:
> "Rune" wrote:
> { "Bill DeWitt" wrote:
>

> { > 32X32X2
>

> { Is those 2 colors before or after AA?
> { I think AA should be allowed in the 2
> { color versions.
>
> Can't AA 2 color images and remain 2 colors.

2 colors in the actual logo is one thing.
2 colors in the image is another thing.

I think there should be 2 colors in the logo, but the image may contain
shades of gray (say 16 shades of gray). The shades of gray are for AA only,
the logo itself must be in 2 colors only.

> { > 32X32X16
>

> { I think max 16 colors in the simple color
> { version would be fine :-)
> { AA should not count as colors though.
>
> Can AA with this many colors but it won't
> look very antialiased.

Again, I think there may be 16 colors in the logo, but 256 or 16m or
something in the image (for the AA only).

> { > <=14400pX2
>

> { I agree.
>
> Same concept.  The "jaggies" will abound but
> perhaps at this higher resolution it won't seem
> so bad.

I think AA should be allowed.

> { > <=14400pX256
>

> { Hmm, why 256 colors?
>
> 256 color icons exist, so too do many splash
> screens and such.

16m icons exists too. Splash screens is just one of many possible uses.

> { > <=320000pX16m
> { > <=320000pX16m
> { > <=320000pX16m
>

> { On some screens there would not even be room
> { for such large formats (for example 565x565),
> { especially not in a browser! Do you really
> { need 3 giant formats just to show the
> { flexibility and fanciness-potential of a
> { simple logo?
>
> Full screen sized logo does seem excessive, but
> one never knows the end uses.

The submission formats are supposed to be *examples* of how the logos could
be used. We don't need to present every possible format, I think. Also, how
often would you use the logo in a rather small format, and how often would
you use a screen-size version? I think small formats are more common for
logos, so a majority of small formats in the submission formats would be
best, I think.

Greetings,

Rune

---
Updated April 25: http://rsj.mobilixnet.dk
Containing 3D images, stereograms, tutorials,