POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Direct links to other's resources : Re: Direct links to other's resources Server Time
10 Aug 2024 03:16:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Direct links to other's resources
From: Alex McMurray
Date: 16 May 2000 20:56:19
Message: <3921EE4D.76FC16A6@melbpc.org.au>
Bob Hughes wrote:

> "Ken" <tyl### [at] pacbellnet> wrote in message news:3920EAE6.7CD208CF@pacbell.net...
> {
> { October wrote:
> {
> { >   The povray community can remain in the shadows of elitism;  resources
> { > mouldering in a rickety maze of links and REDUNDANT websites.
> { >
> {  I think you are misinterpreting our criticism and over reacting. No one
> { minds you providing a well researched collection of POV-Ray resource links
> { together in one place. In fact you will find that I, above all others that
> { frequent these groups, do more to promote the sharing of Pov related resources
> <snipped>
>
> However I have also quite often shared a link with others via email or at a
> message board (and here at news.povray I'm pretty sure) which simply goes
> directly to a file.

One matter I have not seen mentioned here is the danger of broken links to images that
no
longer exist, a POV artist, who has a very good image file on his site, like Rune for
instance, the artist has no idea that someone has a link directly to his image, he
then
decides that the image is not good enough and changes it, hence, a broken link.
Linking to the web page is more beneficial to the web users as a whole, than having a
page
full of broken links to files or images that are not there.
I have been the victim of such links many many times, It is frustrating to say the
least.
All the above means that I agree with Rune. I would rather visit a web site than try
find a file that is not there.

--
  ,-._|\  Alex McMurray
 /  Oz  \ ale### [at] melbpcorgau               Melbourne PC User Group.