POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Direct links to other's resources : Re: Direct links to other's resources Server Time
10 Aug 2024 03:25:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Direct links to other's resources
From: Bob Hughes
Date: 16 May 2000 04:32:49
Message: <392107b1@news.povray.org>
"Ken" <tyl### [at] pacbellnet> wrote in message news:3920EAE6.7CD208CF@pacbell.net...
{
{ October wrote:
{
{ >   The povray community can remain in the shadows of elitism;  resources
{ > mouldering in a rickety maze of links and REDUNDANT websites.
{ >
{ > To those who have been offended by my linking policy, I apologize sincerely.
{ > To those who will miss seeing their hard work promoted through my site and
{ > forums, I apologize sincerely.  If you are interested in having your website
{ > and/or resources catalouged in a future listing, or stored for archive
{ > purposes (so those new to povray can find all the good stuff without surfing
{ > hundreds of websites), please email me.
{
{  I think you are misinterpreting our criticism and over reacting. No one
{ minds you providing a well researched collection of POV-Ray resource links
{ together in one place. In fact you will find that I, above all others that
{ frequent these groups, do more to promote the sharing of Pov related resources
<snipped>
{  In the three years I have been doing this now I have had nothing but positive
{ comments from people because I have helped increase traffic to their sites.
{ Additionaly in the three years I have been doing this I have learned a lot
{ about internet protocol and one of the important things I have learned is
{ that you do not link directly to files on someone elses web site without
{ permission.

I'm haphazard myself, the ignorant s.o.b. that I am  :-)
Often I see it as a more suitable thing to link to a web page since it
will have info about a file.  Even if it's on a FTP directory I might link to the
whole
thing instead of a solitary file.
However I have also quite often shared a link with others via email or at a
message board (and here at news.povray I'm pretty sure) which simply goes
directly to a file.  Seeing the talk here has me trying to rethink this.
Back to the subject matter, I hate to see a good resource pulled but there's
obviously something to be considered mo
re thoroughly.  Takes time to think
and that's how I viewed all this.  There was delay in getting any agreements
(or otherwise).  Most of all since there's more to it than even personal choices
then it probably is best if October were to try and adjust to those internet "rules",
so maybe there is still a way to get the web page satisfactory for all.
Well, just expressing my opinion.  Don't want to step on toes.  It was a great
set of links.

Bob