POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Direct links to other's resources : Re: Direct links to other's resources Server Time
10 Aug 2024 03:19:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Direct links to other's resources
From: Philippe Debar
Date: 15 May 2000 09:40:24
Message: <391ffe48$1@news.povray.org>
"October" <oct### [at] hotmailcom> wrote in message
> My collection of links serves the povray community by providing fast
access
> to both the respective files AND the source html.  For the respective
> authors of such software, this is a GOOD thing, as it may increase
awareness
> of their work in the povray community.  Publicity, feedback,
compliments...
> all of this comes to those who write good code and make it publicly
> available, but only if people know where to find it!

October,

While I follow your line of reasoning, I can not accept it. Surely your
collection of links serves the pov community (I assume it is well done - I
did not check). Maybe your link collection is a good thing for the authors -
but this is for them to judge. Just because you think it is good for them
does not mean they agree. Each author has the right to keep control of how
and where his work is distributed. If an author "uses" an item you link
directly to to attract people to his site, you are actively destroying his
work.

> As for "common courtesty to let people know that you are using their
> resources in this manner", I couldn't agree more. In fact, several of the
> authors whose work I have links to have consented, either non-specifically
> (in a readme) or via email. To assure that all of them (over 120) recieved
> this same consideration was simply beyond my abilities at the time.

You just can't (morally speaking) work that way. You have to get an
agreement _first_, then include the links. And if you do not even get an
answer, you have no right to include the link. Saying that you were unable
to contact all authors (due to their number) is not an acceptable argument.
You have to give yourself the means adequate to the task - or choose a goal
according to the means you have.

> I have
> retracted my links to Rune's specific website/resources and have publicly
> offered to do the same for any others that might share his concerns.

This is no good. You have no assurance that they read this. You have to
contact them personally and get an agreement for including their links.
Period.

Now, I understand you did all this in good faith and it more than probably
was quite a workload. I am not reproaching,  criticising nor scolding you. I
just try to inform. I know this post is a bit harsh and dry, but it is so
for speed sake (I am writing this form work) and clarity.

Keep on the good work,

Povingly,

Philippe