POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Geo data for Australia : Re: Geo data for Australia Server Time
9 Aug 2024 21:15:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Geo data for Australia
From: newsadmin
Date: 12 May 2000 23:03:37
Message: <391cc609$1@news.povray.org>
Marc Schimmler <sch### [at] icauni-stuttgartde> wrote:

>POV-Ray Newsadmin wrote:
>>
>> Anyone know where I can get geographic or elevation data in a form that would
>> enable me to use it to render a relief map of Australia in POV-Ray ?
>>
>> -- Chris
>
>Hi Chris,
>
>Ken posted this link a few months ago:
>
>http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/1658/earth.html
>
>You probably know this stuff but I post it anyway:
>
>http://members.tripod.com/~patrickbass/how2DEM.htm
>http://www.monumental.com/rshorne/3dem.html

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately dem2pov crashes with a floating-point
exception on every platform I tried it on using the dems (e.g. E100S10)
I grabbed. I even tried the Linux version ;(. Works fine with the demo
kirkland .DEM file.

I suppose it doesn't like something about those particular files. I'll
have to take some time some day and debug it.