POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Direct links to other's resources : Re: Direct links to other's resources Server Time
10 Aug 2024 03:25:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Direct links to other's resources
From: Ken
Date: 14 May 2000 00:02:08
Message: <391E24AB.5B90EE57@pacbell.net>
Rune wrote:

> Here's a quote by Ken:
>
> "Many people put in a lot of time and effort publishing their web pages
> and offer some POV-Ray related materials to attract visitors to their
> site. If you collect all of the resources available from the hundreds
> of sites out there, and put it into one monster collection, there will
> be no reason for people to visit the other web pages. Besides making
> a lot of web pages instantly obsolete I am sure you also run the risk
> of hurting the feeling of more than just a few people who enjoy having
> regular visitors to their sites.
>
> I personally never would, and never have, put someone else's material
> on my own web page without first asking permission. I would consider
> it in very poor taste to do so and it would show that a person has
> very little regard or respect for copyright law. I think there is a
> strong moral justification to contact the owner of the material for
> permission prior to inclusion into any such collection."

I was in good form that day :)

Just like I said above about collecting material into one large collection
without permission also applies to directly linking to files on other
peoples web sites. I just consider it common courtesy to let people know
that you are using their resources in this manner. You not only linking
to their material you are consuming their bandwidth. Some people (me for
example) pay for the cost of their web sites rather than using free web
page services such as xoom and geocities.