POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : PLC: General qualities of the logo. : Re: PLC: General qualities of the logo. Server Time
30 Apr 2024 22:24:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: PLC: General qualities of the logo.
From: Philippe Debar
Date: 4 May 2000 11:20:36
Message: <39119544@news.povray.org>
"Rune" <run### [at] inamecom> wrote in message
> Would you submit a hand drawn image for the IRTC ? No.
> But what if was a really really nice hand drawn image?
> No, it wouldn't be accepted because the IRTC is for rendered images only.
>
> Likewise in the logo contest; it is for logos only. A logo is not just a
> word that can mean anything we want it to mean. All the experts agree that
> good logo is a simple piece of 2D graphics consisting of a few colors
only,
> and it must work in just black and white too. Since we want to find a good
> logo for POV-Ray, the submitted logos should follow these criteria.

I think that using this conversation to potentially reject entries is a very
bad idea. This thread is useful as a guideline for future entrants and
future voters. But it should not become rules. The "simpleness" rule for
logos  is like compositional rules for pictures : guidelines for those who
need/want them. such rules are made to be broken. Why reject a priori a
great logo just because it "does not follow the rules"? Sure, generally
speaking I think that simpleness is a logo must-be. "generally speaking".
Everybody submitting a logo now know that I generally find simple logos more
attractive, and hence know somewhat how I will vote. They will not be able
to say "I didn't know". But it stops right there. If a complex logo is
better than the other ones, it will get my vote.

Povingly

Philippe