POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POVLOGO : Re: POVLOGO Server Time
10 Aug 2024 03:24:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POVLOGO
From: Rune
Date: 1 May 2000 16:17:28
Message: <390de658@news.povray.org>
"Bill DeWitt" wrote:
> "Rune" wrote :
> > If the logo had to be made in POV-Ray
> > it would be limiting.
>
> Well, the thing is that POV has a
> reputation of being a text driven,
> platform independent program. If the
> logo was an image, to insert it in a
> scene, you would need the image.

Some people might want to put the logo of POV-Ray in their image, but I
don't know how many. I wouldn't. I also don't see users of other renderers
doing so.

Besides, what wrong with an image_map? You might want to over-sample it a
lot, and still the required image could be pretty small. And AFAIK there's
some platform-independent image-formats.

> As an object, it can be easily
> #included in any scene or completely
> rewritten into any form of intricacy
> for any use. Still, if a flat b/w
> image is needed, it can be made.

The user would have to make sure the logo faces towards the camera exactly,
that it doesn't cast a shadow, you might want to avoid having it affected by
media and other things, and it goes on and on like this. Some things are
done better after the image is rendered (like adding signatures and logos).
Another option would be to use image_maps, which would eliminate at least
some of the problems. But maybe you meant putting the logo in the image as
an integrated part of the scene? That would be even more difficult, and to
be honest, I think it would be very few people who would do that.

> True, there are some things that can
> be done more easily in a paint program
> than in POV-Ray, but who cares? The
> images I have seen so far would be
> -extremely- easy to make in POV-Ray,
> but they weren't (in some cases).

Please make me an exact copy of logo 12! I had problems with it myself...
No, never mind. Just the fact that I couldn't make it myself shows that it
isn't "-extremely- easy". I don't think it is easy at all...

Greetings,

Rune

---
Updated April 25: http://rsj.mobilixnet.dk
Containing 3D images, stereograms, tutorials,