POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POVLOGO : Re: POVLOGO Server Time
9 Aug 2024 21:19:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POVLOGO
From: Rune
Date: 1 May 2000 12:10:47
Message: <390dac87@news.povray.org>
"Bill DeWitt" wrote:
> In my humble opinion, the pov logo should
> be submitted as a short piece of code,
> perhaps a macro, that allows the user to
> texture, scale and position the object in
> the way that best suits them.

Hmm, I disagree.

If the logo had to be made in POV-Ray it would be limiting.

As vaihtoehto put it:

"why logos(!) should have been created with povray? i recommend that you
march in any professional art studio and say that their artists have to use
a ray-tracing software for creating black and white sketches. i bet you will
be laughed out."

However, I think it would be possible to recreate any black and white logo
in POV-Ray (no guarantee). But it will be hard work, therefore the logo
artists don't have to mess with it themselves.

> The competition should be both for simplicity
> and style, both in the image and in the code.

I'd say simplicity and style in the image only. Some simple and stylistic
logos might require complicated coding (if made with POV-Ray at all).

I know that several of the logos in the old competition were not made with
POV-Ray, and that includes some of the most successful of them IIRC. So
generally I am against, but I would like to hear the opinions of others.

Greetings,

Rune

---
Updated April 25: http://rsj.mobilixnet.dk
Containing 3D images, stereograms, tutorials,