POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : PLC: Why should POV-Ray have a logo? : Re: Conclusion? Server Time
1 May 2024 20:23:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Conclusion?
From: Bill DeWitt
Date: 30 Apr 2000 17:01:45
Message: <390c9f39@news.povray.org>
"Rune" <run### [at] inamecom> wrote :

> I'm not sure what you mean. Do you mean that the logo should be some kind
of
> hidden mark that people can put on their renderings, and then people who
see
> these renderings can become aware of the mark (logo) months after they see
> it? An that should be the purpose of the logo? Or have I misunderstood
> something?

    Not quite. I do think that if there were a really good logo that I would
try to incorporate it into my scene in a way that was artistic and perhaps a
little hidden, so that the image was not -about- the logo, but those of us
in the know would be able to see it. Like have it as a tattoo on one of the
Poser guys, or one of the symbols in a row of Hieroglyphs, or the accidental
positioning of several leaves on the ground.

    Secondly, if many of our better artists were using the logo in their
images (perhaps more overtly), it might become a watermark or something
which people might learn to recognize, and wonder what it means. Later, when
they find Povray, they would be surprised to find that the odd mark they had
been seeing was the logo for a free raytracer instead of what they might
have thought it represented (perhaps an expensive renderer or a prestigious
art firm or a secret society of world dominating financiers).

    Sort of like those commercials where they show you some odd people doing
odd things and then flash an abstract symbol. They never tell you what they
are advertising though. You learn to see the symbol and later on find out
that they were really advertising a brand of gelatin dessert.

    So I am not saying that this should be the purpose of a logo, but I do
think that the logo should be abstract enough and, in essence, simple enough
to allow these and other fun things. If it is too blatantly "POV-Ray:The
Text Logo" all you can do with it is tuck it in a corner with the other
credits.