POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Will the POV-Team support the logo competition? : Re: Will the POV-Team support the logo competition? Server Time
4 May 2024 23:56:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Will the POV-Team support the logo competition?
From: Ken
Date: 1 May 2000 00:08:14
Message: <390CFF89.6D890097@pacbell.net>
Rune wrote:

> Hi!
>
> Before I go on any further with the POV-Ray Logo Contest I would like to
> know the opinion of the POV-Team regarding this. I though maybe one from the
> TAG-Team could inform them and ask them?

 Below you will find the official response from the POV-Team regarding
your logo competition. Items 1-3 identify their position regarding the
competition in general and items 4-6 cover a few legal expectations
they have if they do indeed adopt one of the submissions as an official
logo for the program.

This official statement should be included in your competition rules
so there are no misunderstandings with those participating in it.

With regards to what rules or limitations you may wish to impose on the
competition, from a design stand point, that is up to you and the rest
of the POV-Ray user community to decide for yourselves (see item 2).
The POV-Team has no plans to be involved with this part of the process.

If you need further clarification from me feel free to ask and I will
provide what information I can.

Ken

The official position of the POV-Team for this competition is as follows:

1.) Although the logo competition is not an officially sponsored event,
    the POV-Team is very pleased with the community enthusiasm and is
    interested in finding a logo for POV-Ray. We are looking forward to
    seeing what the users of POV-Ray can offer, and if we find a logo
    that captures our imagination we will be happy to adopt it as an
    official logo for POV-Ray.

2.) The POV-Team will closely watch and monitor the competition
    but will not participate in the management of it. This is
    the sole responsibility of the POV-Ray user community and
    its organizers.

3.) The POV-Team reserves the right to reject any "winning" entry
    they feel does not meet with their expectations. A second or
    third place entry is just as likely as a first place entry
    to be chosen by the POV-Team as their official logo, or none
    at all. This is at the sole discretion of the POV-Team and
    will be decided internally by them.

4.) The POV-Team will be granted the right to use the logo however
    they choose. This includes using the logo at the povray.org web
    site and for the purposes of advertising POV-Ray in any form of
    electronic or printed medium (such as CD covers). Artwork
    submitted to this competition shall remain the property of those
    submitting it but they shall also grant irrevocable equal rights
    to the POV-Team to said material.

5.) The following: "POV-Ray", "Persistence of Vision", "POV-Team" and
    "POV-Help" are trademarks of the POV-Team. Artists contributing to
    this competition are not granted any rights over our trademarks.
    It is desirable that submissions that utilize one of our trademarks
    bear a TM symbol but it is not a requirement. If a TM symbol is
    added it should be done so in a subtle and unobtrusive manner.

6.) The POV-Team reserves the right to modify or change any entry
    they choose as their logo (with permission of the original artist).
    Source code (where applicable) should be provided for each entry
    so that the POV-Team may recreate the logo at any resolution or
    aspect ratio they might need.

-- POV-Team