POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Two spheres (59.7KB) : Re: Two spheres (59.7KB) Server Time
4 May 2024 21:54:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Two spheres (59.7KB)
From: David Fontaine
Date: 26 Apr 2000 21:32:14
Message: <3907980E.9D8EDA88@faricy.net>
Tor Olav Kristensen wrote:

> > A little softening of the shadows would help.
>
> I agree, but I'm not sure how to do that.
> I have tried to increase the ambient_light, but then I lost some
> contrast.

light_source { .... area_light <axis_1> <axis_2> size1 size2 [adaptive
[n]] [jitter [n]] }
The axes define the rectangular area the light_source occupies. The
"sizes" are actually resolutions, size1*size2 is the number of lights POV
must calculate for, more is better but slower.
jitter "jitters" the lights a bit for each pixel to eliminate banding, but
can sometimes give grainy results. A number after it is a multiplier used
on the default ammount of jittering.
adaptive makes POV use further subsampling based on contrast between
neighboring rays to further eliminate banding. Adaptive will not go beyond
<size1,size2> in resolution. Because adaptive can give innacurate results
by not filling in all areas, a number after it specifies the minimum
number of times the array is subsampled before adaptive sampling is used.

example: light_source { .... x*10 z*10 5 5 adaptive 1 }
this creates a 10x10 light along the x-z plane at whatever location, uses
a minimum of 9 rays per sample (3x3; the corners [adaptive 0] and then one
subdivision [adaptive 1]) and may use up to 25.

if you are still confused read the docs

--
David Fontaine     <dav### [at] faricynet>    ICQ 55354965
Please visit my website: http:/www.faricy.net/~davidf/