POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : The License : Re: The License Server Time
10 Aug 2024 05:21:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The License
From: Johannes Hubert
Date: 26 Apr 2000 05:58:26
Message: <3906bdc2@news.povray.org>
"Sven-Erik Andersen" <sea### [at] mailcitycom> wrote in message
> On Mon, 24 Apr 2000 12:43:41 +0200, "Johannes Hubert" <jht### [at] mailacom>
> wrote:
> >If POV had a GNU license, you could take out parts of POV's code and
> >integrate it into your own projects, as long as you distributed your
> >application with the GNU license (and for free) too.
> >This would help a lot of people that would like to integrate POV's
> >parsing code into for example a modeller, which could then "read" POV
> >files.
> >
> >The POV team would insofar loose its control over the applications
into
> >which their code is integrated, but it would not allow anyone to make
> >money with the POV code, because the new product would also have to
use
> >the GNU license.
>
> As far as I understand the GNU license, it doesn't prohibit people to
> make money of a product covered by the license, and it was never the
> idea behind it either.

Well yes, but nobody would stop them from writing their license like
GNU, just with the added "if you use our code for your application, then
you must distribute the application for *free*, and you must distribute
it with full source code, and you must provide your own support to the
users, etc. etc."
This is more or less like it is now, with the difference, that now you
can only use their code to write a custom version of POV-Ray, with this
more general license, you could use (parts) of their code in other (free
and open source) applications.

Johannes.