POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : The License : Re: The License Server Time
10 Aug 2024 05:15:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The License
From: Charles Fusner
Date: 25 Apr 2000 18:20:35
Message: <39061AE6.36E1FBD3@enter.net>
Ken wrote:
> One (like me for example) might argue that while the programming
> language might change many of the algorithms the the current code
> is based on will remain functionally the same.

Heh. OK, Ken, just trying to stir up trouble, I was. (Hey, you're
a bad influence, what can I say <g>), but what's the difference
between, say, using the original source only as a functionality
and compatibility reference and effectively rebuilding the functions
and data structures as full fledged classes, and, using the source
for "educational purposes" in writing your own library functions.
For example, the POV parser that someone wrote: In order to comply
with POV-Legal as it currently stands, this parser had to have
been written from the ground up, but it still reads POV source code
so how different is it practically speaking from the native POV
parsing code?

If the team, with full knowledge of POV's inner workings sat down
and rebuilt the raytracer such that it's native language and
available functions were backward compatible with the existing
executables, yet the code were completely reworked internally,
how many shades of grey must we cross before it isn't the same
code any more? Or have we opened the whole LZW "patent on an
algorythm" can o' worms again?

Sorry, I'm a trouble maker, I know. Per'aps I should jest shut
up and sit in a corner mind me own business...