POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : The License : Re: The License Server Time
10 Aug 2024 07:12:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The License
From: Johannes Hubert
Date: 24 Apr 2000 06:45:09
Message: <390425b5$1@news.povray.org>
"Chris Huff" <chr### [at] yahoocom> wrote in message
> In article <3902F90D.D98B5AA5@crosswinds.net>, Rene Horn
> <haw### [at] crosswindsnet> wrote:
>
> > I know, I just think that it's maybe a time for a change.  I realize
that
> > POV-Ray is older and my hope in posting this is that the creators
might
> > think about that.
>
> Why? What benefits would it have? What problems with the current
license
> would be solved by changing it?
> The license definitely won't be changed if that is the only reason you
> can come up with. I don't think any of the POV-Team members(or anyone
at
> all) would enjoy spending their free time writing a new license or
> moving POV to a new one "just for the heck of it".

One reason that jumps to mind:

If POV had a GNU license, you could take out parts of POV's code and
integrate it into your own projects, as long as you distributed your
application with the GNU license (and for free) too.
This would help a lot of people that would like to integrate POV's
parsing code into for example a modeller, which could then "read" POV
files.

The POV team would insofar loose its control over the applications into
which their code is integrated, but it would not allow anyone to make
money with the POV code, because the new product would also have to use
the GNU license.

Johannes.