POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : 3D Pattern ? : Re: 3D Pattern ? Server Time
19 May 2024 23:13:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 3D Pattern ?
From: Xplo Eristotle
Date: 24 Apr 2000 05:49:42
Message: <39041A14.754ACABD@unforgettable.com>
Hendrik Iben wrote:

> Hi,
> I want to create a 3 dimensional pattern but I do not know if this is
> possible with POV-Ray (but I think so). I want to use it like the
> 'gradient z' or 'bozo' statement to change the color/texture of an
> object by it's position in space and need the (relative) x,y and z
> coordinates to decide wich value is to be used...

AFAIK, all patterns in POV-Ray are inherently 3D anyway. If you define
an object's location BEFORE assigning it a texture, the texture it gets
is determined by the value of the pattern in the part of space where the
object resides (once you define a texture for an object, it "sticks" to
that object even if you transform it). Note that if you do it this way,
the texture of the object will vary over the surface of the object,
since it exists within that variable 3D pattern space.

If you want the object to have one uniform texture over the entire
surface that varies by the location of the object, your best bet would
probably be to write some kind of mathematical function and use it to
alter a "base" texture somehow.. am I making any sense here?

--
Xplo Eristotle
http://start.at/xplosion/