POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : The License : Re: The License Server Time
10 Aug 2024 07:14:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The License
From: Nathan Kopp
Date: 24 Apr 2000 00:37:04
Message: <3903cf70@news.povray.org>
Chris Huff <chr### [at] yahoocom> wrote...

> Why? What benefits would it have? What problems with the current license
> would be solved by changing it?
> The license definitely won't be changed if that is the only reason you
> can come up with. I don't think any of the POV-Team members(or anyone at
> all) would enjoy spending their free time writing a new license or
> moving POV to a new one "just for the heck of it".

As you mention, the license shouldn't be changed 'just for the heck of it'.
However, there are some benifits (and drawbacks) of alternative licenses.
These issues will have to be discussed more in depth before further action
is taken, and currently a lot of time is being spent on the release of POV
3.5, so not much time is available for license discussions.

-Nathan Kopp

(I speak for myself alone and not for the POV-Team.)