POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.macintosh : Bands in graditations : Re: Bands in graditations Server Time
1 Jul 2024 05:34:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Bands in graditations
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 22 Apr 2000 15:08:35
Message: <3901f8b3@news.povray.org>
In article <B5273F77.7BA%dav### [at] maccom> , David <dav### [at] maccom>
wrote:

>     I am using an iMac DV with my display set to 1024x768 at millions of
> colors. Normaly, my scenes look great (that is, on POV-Ray's end of things).
> They uselly use a plane object for the ground. However, I have been tring a
> box the put it in a small room. The gradiations on the wall look a bit
> banded, and the antialiasing looks chopy. What should I do?

For gradients between some colors the human eye can distinguish more shades
than current display technology (= true color color with 8 bits per color
component) can show.  However, POV-Ray can generate 16 bits per color
component PNG images, yet only very few programs support them, and as
hardware can't display the additional shades anyway, you will have to wait
until (if ever) such hardware is available, but then POV-Ray will already
support it!

     Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich
e-mail: mac### [at] povrayorg